PADI Open Water Diver
The most popular course in diving!
If you want to learn to scuba dive, this is where you begin!
The PADI Open Water Diver course is the world's most popular scuba diving course, introducing millions of people to the world of Scuba Diving and getting you qulified as a fully pledged Open Water Scuba Diver. It is the first course in a series of course you can do and it is the one for you to seek new adventures and discover the wondrous world beneath the water.
The information on this page is designed for people aged 16 and over, if you have a young person from 10 to 15 years interested in diving then there is a PADI Junior Open Water Course or see our other junior courses.
Padi Open Water Divers are qualified to:
- Dive to a maximum depth of 18 metres (60 feet) with another qualified diver.
- Dive almost anywhere in the world! (Within training limits
- Purchase or rent scuba equipment and obtain air fills.
Move up the diving ladder and comolete more PADI courses.
To enrol in the PADI Open Diver course:
- You must be at least be 15 years old
- Be a comfortable swimmer - able to complete a 200 metre swim in any style and tread water for 10-minutes
- Complete a Galaxsea Diver's Application and Medical Form
- Book onto one of our courses.
The PADI Open Water Diver course is broken into:
- Two theory sessions
- Four to five pool sessions
- 2 days in open water (Usually over a weekend)
What the course consists of:
- Knowledge Development (online, home study or in a classroom ) to understand basic principles of scuba diving
- Confined Water Dives in the pool to learn basic scuba skills
- Open Water Dives to review your skills and explore!
- Preventing common problems underwater
- And much more!
Throughout the course you will get a guided personalised experience about the underwater world while learning skills to help equip you to go and explore all around the world. Making your diving experience safe, and alot of fun!
The Scuba Gear:
You'll use all the basic scuba gear throughout the course. However, we do recommend that you invest in your own mask, snorkel, and possibly fins since these personal items are a lot more fun to use when they fit properly. You may also want to wear a scuba wetsuit to enhance the comfort and relaxation.
Already have your own equipment? Maybe you have a mask or fins? GREAT! Feel free to bring it along. Anything you don't have, or might need, we have it here at Galaxsea Divers.
On booking you will receive a variety of home-study materials including the Open Water Course book, media and logbook.
These materials provide a comprehensive overview of all the scuba diving skills, terminology and safety procedures.
Scheduled full course (including open water dives)
This option includes set dates in our calendar for the theory, pool sessions and open water dives through your chosen month.
Bespoke full course (including open water dives)
Bespoke means a more personanlised course adapted to suit your availibility. This means you work with us to pick dates that work around you, a good choice if you have odd work hours.
Referral PADI Open Water Diver course
This is the same course as above but does not include the open water dives, this is the option for most people who are just about to go on holiday or would prefer to do the open water dives in warmer waters. As above there are Scheduled and a Bespoke options available.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have and to pop into the centre to organise your PADI Course!